Spyware Protection designed to protect – Fake Antivirus/Spyware Program
Spyware protection is a fake anti spyware program that is designed to make you pay for what you think is a piece of software that will rid your computer of viruses and spyware. In fact what it’s actually doing is the following:
- Stops you from running any executable files on your computer including programs like office, antivirus installers and even programs like Microsoft paint!
- It shows false infection and error messages to make you think your system is infected
- Constantly pops up with its fake messages
- It may create pop-ups and re-direct your browser.
- There is no uninstallation process, so cannot be uninstalled.
This is one of a family of fake anti spyware programs of which there are many here are a few variations:
- AntiVirus Live 2010
- Advanced Security Tool 2010.
- Home Personal Antivirus
- IE-Security, Security Central
- System Tool
- Win PC Defender
- Win PC Antivirus
- XP Deluxe Protector
- XP Police Antivirus
Spyware Protection removal guide
- Click Windows button
- Type in search box spyware - A program item will appear called spyware protection
- Right click the icon. Left click properties.
- Looking at the target box. Make a note of where the executable file is located.
- Open my computer - in the bar at the top type the location of the file. Then hit enter this should open up the directory.
- The file is normally found in the directory c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\defender.exe
- You may also need to note the appdata is a hidden folder
- Find the executable – right click it then left click rename. Give any other name.
- This will essentially stop the program loading when you turn the computer on.
- Reboot the computer
- Now the program has been stopped from running you need to make sure you run a full spyware / virus sweep. I would suggesting downloading Spy doctor from PC Tools, Adaware antivirus protection or spybot search and destroy all of which should find and remove the infection.
If you wish to remove the start-up entry completely you can download ccleaner which has a startup section under the tools menu. This shows you what items are loading when the computer starts and it gives you an option to delete the entry. Here you will find the entry defender.exe or the variant it’s called on your machine and you can delete it.
Tags: Remove spyware protection help, get rid of spyware protection, uninstall spyware protection, delete spyware protection, designed to protect.