How to check your Computer Hardware for errors.
Below explains how to use free third party software that doesnt require windows loading to test your hardware. if you wish to use the Windows 7 built in memory checker, you can find instructions further down the page.
Firstly you need download a piece of software that will allow you test your hardware. But don’t worry its free. It’s called the ultimatebootcd. It has hardware checkers on the disk.
- Download the ISO file from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
- Download imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
- Load imgburn and use it to “write file to disk” select the ultimatebootcd iso file you downloaded and let it copy it to a blank CD. You have to used imgburn as it extracts the cd from the iso file.
- Once you have the Ultimatebootcd burnt, Put the cd in the computer and boot to the CD. (if it doesn’t allow you to boot. Check the boot order in the bios)
- Once loaded the computer should look like this (image may show latest version number):
Hard Disk Test
- Select Hard disk tools.
- Then Diagnostic Tools.
- Then choose one of the diagnostic tools. The top one is often fine to use.It will load into the application where you can run tests on the Hard Disk
- Select Mainboard tools
- Select Memory Tests.
- Select Memtest (latest version)
- Run the memory tests. This can take some time
- Mainboard tools
- CPU tests
- Select one of the CPU testing programs and run the test.
Windows 7 Built in Memory Checker
- Click the start button
- in the search box type memory - You should get an icon called Windows Memory Diagnostic appear click that.
- A new window will appear and you can choose to have it restart now and check or when you next reboot the computer.
- Choice which option you wish and your done.
It might take quite a while for the tool to finish checking your computer's memory. Once the test is completed, the computer will restart automatically. If the tool detects errors it usually indicates a problem with the memory chips in your computer.
3rd Party Windows Based Memory Checker - HCI Memtest
There is another memory checker you can use called HCI memtest. This is installable under windows and will check the memory while windows is in use, unlike the other above. However any sections of the memory that are in use will not be able to be checked due to locks on it by the operating system. You can download it here under hardware testing tools.
Video Memory Stress Test
If you think that its your video memory thats causing problems. You can download a program called Video Memory Stress Test. This runs in windows and will check for possible problems and performance issues on your graphics card. You can download it here under hardware testing tools.
Tags :check computer for hardware faults, faulty hardware check, check components of laptop, check components of computer, check hardware, test laptop hardware, test computer hardware. hardware tests, test memory, test harddrive, test motherboard. hardware checker free of charge. free hardware tester