Guide to data recovery from a computer that will not Load any version of Windows as long as the hard drive works and the data is intact.
Follow this guide if you have the following symptoms and want to recover your personal data from the computer:
- Safe mode option Looping
- Blue Screen Errors
- Windows Desktop but no icons
- Cant logon
- Constant restarting of the computer when loading
- Windows Locking up due to Spyware and Viruses
This guide will assume that the hard disk is not physically broken i.e it is seen in the bios and windows attempts to load but fails.
There are a few things you can try to retrieve your data:
Option 1 – Remove hard disk and install it into a enclosure.
A hard drive enclosure is a casing that allows you to insert a hard disk into and this will make the hard disk a USB device. It can then be plugged into another computer and the information can be copied off. Down side is you will have to purchase a enclosure if you do not have one.
Option 2 – Remove hard disk and install it in another computer
This option is not ideal for everyone as you will need a spare computer and knowledge on how to install a hard disk to another computer. The idea behind this is you remove the hard disk you want to retrieve data from and insert it into another computer with a working operating system (OS). You will then be able to read your files from the computer with a working OS. Down side is you will need the knowledge on how to install a hard disk in another computer.
Option 3 – Use Knoppix (linux operating system)
Knoppix is an operating system that loads from a CD. Unlike other Linus operating systems this will read files that have been used on Windows System which is exactly what we need.
So to get your copy of free Knoppix follow these steps:
- Download Knoppix iso file from http://www.knoppix.org/
- Download imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
- Load imgburn and use it to “write file to disk” select the knoppix iso file and let it copy it to a blank CD
- Once you have the knoppix CD , Put the cd in the computer that doesn’t load windows and boot to the CD. (if it doesn’t allow you to boot. Check the boot order in the bios)
- When the Menu loads you need to select 12. Graphic programmes from the menu.
- Next menu select 3 rd the third option.
- This will load you into a “windows” type environment. Click on the Knoppix folder at top.
- This will bring up a file explorer like in windows. You can insert a memory stick or portable hard disk and copy off the data you require.